Monday, October 8, 2012

Size Matters

I tend to create game content with one eye on realism.  Consequently, I attempted to create a realisticly scaled dwarf planet for the first tutorial.  I discovered that with my current format; this is impossible.  I am currently using a one meter scale for the game.  I use this scale in 3d Max and other modelling programs to keep everything standard.  This scale is too large to realistically create a space scene. 

I have two options at this point.  I can scrap realism, which isn't a bad option.  Or, I can rescale the game.  In order to do this, I have to use a kilometer scale in 3d Max and divide all force calculations by 1000.  The change of scale for 3D modelling is obvious.  The change within Unity is less obvious.  The Unity engine operates on a one meter scale.  There is no easy, at least as far as I know, dial to change this default.  To effect this change, the programmer needs to incorporate it in the programming code.  This means that an application of force needs to be divided by 1000. 

Right now, I am sticking with the current scale.  The "dwarf planet" in the game is very large.  Is it planetary large?  I think it could qualify in a perceptual level.  In addition, I don't think refitting the current prototype will be an effective use of my time.  The next prototype might see a rescale as an option.  I already know where the majority of the force applications are in the game; it shouldn't be too hard to add a size multiplier into the game. 

The other consideration is the feel that a would result for a rescale action.  If the game feels too slow, it would be a bad thing.  Right now, I think the current feel, speed-wise, is very close to where I want it.  That is subject to change as others start to playtest it. 

In a nutshell, I need to rescale the force calculation if I rescale the model size.  I need to remember that when prototype three is under consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment