Friday, April 4, 2014

Starting to Finalize the Starting Colonial Battlestars

I converted my Berzerk Class Battlestar into a mesh that will be usable with the new prototype.  I didn't have to change any major features.  I just broke the model back down to its basic components and recombined the components into something more game development friendly.  Here are the pictures of the new

I also used a size comparison picture:

Compared to the Hercules, the Berzerk seems very "light".  Consequently, I will use displacement to classify battlestars.  In this case, the Berzerk and
the Hercules are both cruisers. 

In addition, I started on the Defender class destroyer.  It's a much smaller ship and has been seen in the Battlestar universe.  It's a fan made creation that made it into the series, and it does have some minor issues.  For its size, the landing bay is too small to be practical.  You can't land a Viper or Scorpion in the landing bay safely.  It has no launch tubes, and this makes deploying fighters highly problematic.

On the upside, its weapon coverage in the forward firing arc is very impressive.  To me, its a destroyer and recon ship.  By enlarging the landing bay, it can deploy a single, or maybe two, fighters to scout an area.  The fighters would have to make a "ground" takeoff, but that is just a tradeoff for making a smaller ship. 

The ship is still in the preliminary stages; however, here are some pics of the development:

So, I think I will concentrate on having the:

Columbia (basic Galatica body)
Berzerk (Cruiser)
Hercules (Cruiser)
Defender (Destroyer)

Along with the:

Orion (Destroyer - from Blood and Chrome)
Pericles (Destroyer - yet to be developed destroyer from me)

These are ships that will figure predominantly in the game's early war fighting efforts.  I'll leave other ships like the Valkyrie Type Battlestar for later portions of the war. 

Saturday, March 29, 2014


My last attempt to refractor the older prototype was a...  disaster.  I'm going to go another direction.  I'm keeping the last prototype; however, I will internally rewrite all of the major scripts.  Once the scripts have been finalized, I will move those scripts to a new project and upload new models into the game. 

I have been working on some of the models.  I want to standardize what I will be incorporating into the game before finalizing scripts.  I have the Scorpion fighter somewhat textured at this point:

It's not done, and there are things I want to add to the texturing map.  However, it is a move in the right direction.

In addition, I created the standard destroyer for the Caprican fleet.  It's based loosely on the Battlestar Galactica.  It is smaller and is designed as a support craft for the larger battlestar.  It is currently untextured and will be replacing a previous concept of a destroyer/cruiser.

The final picture represents the ship with its turrets and other final touch up details.  It should be ready for export to my texturing program.